Friday, November 14, 2008

Chrissi B! a new thought on Christmas ornaments....


I know I have been chatting a bit too much about Christmas lately. I am sorry, but the simple thought of the holidays, it's planning and plotting have me a bit consumed lately. I am a schemer. I am a planner. I do not leave to chance the purchase of wraps and ribbons, cards and gifts. I plot. I plan. I explore. I gather.

I search out the best of what I need, and I build and play. This Christmas I find myself working with new colors and new ideas. In an effort to play a bit with an idea, I find myself painting mini canvases ....Mini canvases everywhere. My idea is to have mini works of whimsy decorate our main tree, our mantle and our table.

Work with me here, people. This idea may sound good in theory, (they all do), but can it work? My first obstacle was finding the mini canvases ....Dick Blick to the rescue. Love them. Mini blank canvases are sold in packages of 5 for under $5. Love it! These small wonders may be used as gifties for kids to create. Tied on packages as gift tags, or used at dinner as place cards. Let your imagination be your guide. If your artistic endevors find you wanting, consider adding bits of bling, buttons and ribbons.

For years I have created small Christmas trees that hold more than lights and gifts. I have tied dozens of mini picture frames onto a four foot faux tree. Photos of those who are no longer here to celebrate, and those who simply cannot come to celebrate are tied with simple ribbons and care. It has been our way of remembering family and friends at Christmas. Frankly, this side tree is my all time favorite to decorate. Each photo is a memory, each face is a treasure. Since the tree is not real, it can easily carry the weight of frames and mementos.

Small picture frames are easily available, and they do not have to match. In fact, I think the tree looks better if the frames vary in style and size. I mix woods with crystals, baroque with modern. Simple white lights, and a few other oddities like my grandfather's childhood teddy, my dad's toy truck ...tied into the sturdy branches and I am done.

So, start thinking about what you would like to do this Christmas. We still have time to paint a few canvases. (Great gift for grandparents!) Frame a few small pictures and create a new Holiday tradition. ...enjoy!

No comments: